CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

PERSEPOLIS Blog Response number dos

Describe the writers voice. is it appealing? which aspect of Marji's character do you identify with or like the most, the least? did your reaction to the little girl affect your reading experience?

Satrapis voice throughout the story is one of thoughtfulness and opinions. She always has an opinion or thought about something her father says or her teacher says. She is the kind of girl who appears to herself as if she knows it all and is always right. In real life if I knew some one like this they would probably annoy me, but for the books purpose its appealing. Heres this little girl, who in the midst of this "revolution" and chaos is sticking strong and going against the grain. The main aspect of Marji that I can say I am the most similar to is her strong opinions. I am a very opinionated person and I feel she is too. The aspect of her that I dislike the most is when she brags to her friends about her grandpa. The reaction to Marji, I could say, affected my reading in the sense that it intrigued me to see this eight year old girl thinking so deeply about her environment.
"Every situation has an opportunity for laughs"(pg97) give some examples of how the ordinary citizens of Iran enjoyed life despite the oppressive regime. What made you laugh? How does Satrapi add comic relief? How are these scenes relevant to the story as a whole?
An everyday example of how the citizens of Iran enjoyed life was by parties. Even though they knew they were against the rules of the leaders it was said that if there was no parties that people would go crazy from all the other drama going on. It was the only way to forget about the craziness of the other aspects in their life. In a way a party was like a way for the citizens to step out of their life and into another they wish they could have, but know they couldn't. I cant really think of anything that made me laugh honestly. Satrapi adds comic relief in the book by Marjis opinionated comments and her far out thinking. These scenes are relevant to the story as a whole because the whole book involves Marjis opinions and thoughts.

"In site of everything, kids were trying to look hip, even under risk of arrest." (pg 112) How did they do this? What do you think you would have done had you been a child in this environment? What acts of rebellion did you do as a teen? In what ways is Satrapi just a normal kid?
A perfect example of how Marji tried looking hip was in the chapter Kim Wilde was after her parents came back from Turkey and got Marji what she asked for. She asked for a jacket, two posters and a pin of Michael Jackson. Since these things all represented the West it was against the rules to wear them. Yet Marji did and this was her way of rebelling. I think that if I were a child in that physco environment i would probably be in jail. I don't take lightly to doing things I really don't want to do and I feel I would probably be the same there. I think I would have started a demonstration and tried to get rid of all these crazy sexist rules in Iran. As a teen, which I am still, I think I havn't really done anything rebellious. My parents are really cool and well liberial if I had to label them. So like piercings and tight showy clothes to other families would be considered rebellious but to my family its how I am. So I cant really rebel I guess, I have nothing to rebel over anyways.


0 comments: